Monday, May 22, 2006

Google Alerts in the classroom

From the Google Alerts website:
"Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic.

Some handy uses of Google Alerts include:
  • monitoring a developing news story
  • keeping current on a competitor or industry
  • getting the latest on a celebrity or event
  • keeping tabs on your favorite sports teams"
This tool could be very interesting for anyone out there who needs or wants to monitor an issue over a period of time. To test it out, I have created an alert to monitor community schools (an issue that seems to be touching on the different areas of my work commitments right now!) on a weekly basis. I have set aside time at lunch on Tuesdays related to check out the updates then.

This could be an interesting tool to monitor updates on particular issues - however, I want to start out with small doses to make sure that I don't overload on information.

I am trying this out with another key word - educational technology - for my educatioanl technology blog. Another tool that could be helpful, as long as it is not allowed to become overwhelming.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: